Hints for Reading Practice
1. Most of us can find 15 minutes or half an hour each day for some regular activity. For example, one famous surgeon always spent 15 minutes reading something before he went to sleep each day. Whether he went to bed at 10 p.m. or 2:30 a.m. made no difference.
2. "Speed Reading" courses teach students how to read more quickly. In such courses, teachers often ask students to find out how many words a minute he is reading. You can do this too: look at your watch every 5 or 10 minutes and write down the page number you have reached.
3. Obviously, you should not increase your reading speed if you do not understand what you are reading. If you find something you don't understand in the book, or you cannot remember clearly the details of what is said, why not read the chapter again?
4. Take four or five pages of an interesting book you happen to be reading now. Read these pages as fast as you can. Don't worry about whether you understand or not. If you keep doing this "lightning speed" reading for a period of time, you will usually find that your normal speed has increased.
5. Most paragraphs in an article have a topic sentence that expresses the central idea. The opening paragraph often suggests the general direction and content of the article, while paragraphs that follow expand or support the first. The closing paragraph often gives a summary of the most important points of the article.
23 Paragraph 2 .
24 Paragraph 3 .
25 Paragraph 4 .
26 Paragraph 5 .
A The Organization of An Article
B Check Your Reading Speed
C A Way to Increase Your Reading Speed
D Check Your Understanding
E Read Something Every Day
F Read Extensively
27 You are advised to read something before you .
28 In "Speed Reading" courses, teachers often asks students to .
29 You can improve your reading speed if you .
30 It will help you to understand the article if you .
A find the topic sentences
B find out the new words
C keep reading fast
D go to bed every day
E keep a note of their reading speed
F look at your watch every few minutes
23. B 24. D 25. C 26. A
27. D 28. E 29. C 30. A