Messages from the Media
1. The weather forecast, a story about the candidates in an election, and movie reviews are examples of messages from the media. A communication medium, of which the plural （复数的） form is media, is a means of communicating a message. Examples of media are television, radio, newspapers and books and the telephone. The media that can reach many people at once are called mass media.
2. It is not difficult to think of other messages we receive through the mass media. Every day we get hundreds of them. Think about advertisements, for example. We see and hear these messages almost everywhere we go. Advertisements are important messages, even though they are sometimes annoying. They help us compare and evaluate products.
3. Most of us get more information from the media than from the classroom. Think, for a moment, about how you learn about local news and events. Do you depend on other people or the media? What about international news? What is the most important source of information for you? People who are asked this question usually answer, "Television."
4. Think of all the messages you received today. Perhaps you read a newspaper during breakfast, or maybe you read advertisements on billboards （露天的广告牌） on your way to school. Did you listen to a weather forecast or the sports news on the radio this morning? Right now you are getting information through a very important medium of mass communication——a book.
5. We use the information we get from radio, television, newspapers, and other media to make decisions and form opinions. That is why the mass media are so important. Editorials and articles in newspapers help us decide how to vote, consumer reports on television help us decide how to spend our money, and international news on the radio makes us think and form opinions about questions of war and peace.
23 Paragraph 2 .
24 Paragraph 3 .
25 Paragraph 4 .
26 Paragraph 5 .
A Importance of Classroom Learning
B Television as Rich Source of Information
C Advertisements as Important Messages from the Mass Media
D Various Messages One May Receive Each Day
E Media —— Means to Communicate Messages
F Importance of the Mass Media
27 Each day we get a lot of messages from .
28 Television, radio and books are all important media of .
29 For most people television is the most important .
30 The mass media are important to us because they shape .
A sports news
B our decisions and opinions
C mass communication
D our messages
E source of information
F the mass media
23. C 24. B 25. D 26. F
27. F 28. C 29. E 30. B