1. The child was seriously _________ in the accident.
A. damaged B injured C ill D bad
2. The cyclist was ________ his bicycle.
A hit off B knocked off C knocked down D hit down
3. Road accidents are a ________ cause of deaths.
A major B great C large D important
4. There was a _______ accident at his junction last week.
A lethal B deadly C fatal D deathly
5. More than 400 children ________ on the roads in 1988.
A were dead B dead C killed D were killed
6. I was on the motorway when my car ________ petrol.
A ran down B ran off C killed D were killed
7. The car ________ on the motorway.
A broke B broke down C broke up D broke in
8. He drove across the junction， although the ________were red.
A lamps B indicatiors C signs D lights
9. My motorcycle was very badly ________ in the accident.
A broken B injured C damaged D hurt
10. This is not a busy road - the traffic is very ________.
A small B light C little D few
11. The ________ of the train were full. there was nowhere to sit.
A waggons B carts C carriages D platform
12. The 8.15 for London will leave from________ nine.
A pavement B place C gate D platform
13. I was ________him for losing the key.
A annoyed B annoying C annoyed with D annoying with
14. I bumped into John in the ______ of the train.
1. His picture was in the leading newspapers of the country.
A popular B important C funny D guiding
2. He is so busy that he can hardly afford a day away from work.
A waste B pay C spend D offer
3. If you have any complaint， please see the manager.
A protest B criticism C suggestion D fault
4. If observations confirmed the scientists‘ prediction， the theory is supported.
A finished B adjusted C investigated D upheld
5. History is thus used to justify and support national ideals and institutions.
A explain B assist C establish D judge
6. Early in life she chose nursing as her vocation.
A future B hobby C leisure pursuit D profession
7. The initial step is often the most difficult.
A first B last C longest D quickest
8. Your complaint must be made through the proper channels.
A effects B background C means D relations
9. I could easily identify him among the crowd because he was wearing long hair.
A prove B define C claim D r***gnize
10. The newspaper had a remarkable influence in rural areas.
A significant B discussible C remote D uneven
11. The duty of a soldier is to defend his country.
A. resist B assure C guard D contribute
12. The revised proposals were debated.
A distasteful B rejected C unclear D amended
13. As the rubber business declined in south America， Brazil turned to the production of coffee.
A was prosperous B failed C was on an incline D was kept back
14. If you want to do the job， you must conquer your fear of heights.
A oppose B fight C hide D overcome
15. That new device can regulate the amount of oil that goes into the truck.
A reduce B relate C control D process
16. We would much appreciate it if you could do us a favor.
A enjoy B be surprised by C be astonished by D be thankful for
17. I hope you have left none of your belongings in the hotel.
A document. B possessions C children D clothes
18. New duties were imposed on wines and spirits.
A removed B cut C charged D checked
19. The readers always ask what the author‘s basic motives are.
A talents B intentions C themes D symbols.
20. Computers will flourish because they enable us to accomplish tasks that could never before have been undertaken.
A implement B render C complete D assign
21. We want to know his family background.
A relationships B members C troubles C income
22. The mail was delayed for tow days because of the snow-storm.
A held in B held up C held down D held off
23. She gave up her job to look after her invalid mother.
A quitted B lost C paused D retired
24. Do you need anybody to assist you in your work？
A inform B aid C direct D instruct
25. Of the reptile groups， thesnake group was the final one to appear.
A. last B best C ugliest D longest
26. The room was filled with the scent of flowers.
A atmosphere B pot C feature D odor
27. He comprehends the theory of relativity.
A teaches B learns C investigates D understands
28. We propose to furnish our own house according to our own taste.
A display B fix C paint D d***rate
29. In that organization， they place emphasis on helping one another and on cooperation.
A hopes B pressure C stress D demands
30. For a beauty competition you need a pretty face and a good figure.
A fashion B frame C shape D shade
31. Our public transportation is not sufficient for the need of the people in our major cities.
A excessive B additional C efficient D adequate
32. We should be cautious in crossing a crowded street.
A careful B intelligent C quiet D weary
33. We made a deliberate decision to live apart for a while.
A apparent B international C partial C mechanical
34. The child asked numerous questions.
A complex B considerable C complicated D considerate
35. My letter of inquiry brought no response.
A impression B reply C explanation D charge
36. All my life I have tried to be an honest man.
A slender B single C silent D sincere
37. A reasonable price is a moderate one， not too expensive.
A fair B false C fast D fatal
38. I don‘t think I’m acquainted with the situation.
A concerned over B informed about C worried about D good at
39. It makes sure that he is well taken care of.
A guarantees B forces C hopes D finds
40. The protestors handed out leaflets describing their grievances.
A. exchanged B deleted C distributed D proved
41. How did that ***nomic policy evolve？
A operate B succeed C fail D develop
42. The company r***mmended that a new petrol station be built here.
A ordered B insisted C suggested D demanded
43. What he implied was that you didn‘t tell the truth.
A communicated B suggested C resolved D restricted
44. It is impossible for parents to shield their children from every danger.
A free B relieve C conserve D protect
45. He made a great show of reluctance， but finally accepted my offer.
A emotion B unwillingness C anger D postpone
46. When will you set off on your vacation.
A plan B decide about C come back from D begin
47. The cars travelled 200 miles a day.
A came B covered C gone D walked
48. It‘s almost impossible to forecast the future development of a very young child.
A present B propose C prove D predict
49. Don‘t get upset about trivial matters.
A unexpected B unusual C unimportant D uncertain
50. The regents discussed the various candidates at length.
A from time to time B in detail C in line D one by one
1. B 2. D 3. B 4. D 5. A 6. D 7. A 8. C 9.D 10. A
11.C 12.D 13.C 14.D 15.C 16.D 17.B 18.C 19.B 20.C
21.A 22.B 23.A 24.B 25.A 26.D 27.D 28.D 29.C 30.C
31.D 32.A 33.B 34.B 35.B 36.D 37.A 38.B 39.A 40.C
41.D 42.C 43.B 44.D 45.B 46.D 47.B 48. D 49.C 50B